How to Setup Orbi With App or Without App
Orbi is a mesh system that users can use to extend and amplify the coverage of their Wi-Fi network. This article will go through the process of Orbi app setup as well as setting up an Orbi mesh system without the Orbi application.
Let’s start with the most obvious question:
Can You Setup Orbi Without Orbi App?
The answer is yes. If you want to setup Orbi without an app, you can follow these steps.
Reboot Your Device And Find SSID
- To start, you’ll need to turn off the Orbi router.
- Next, press and hold on the reset button for 30 seconds.
- This will cause the router to reboot itself and reset its configuration settings.
- After that, turn back on your modem as well as your Orbi Router using the power button.
- Now, find your SSID on the label of your router.
- Keep in mind that the SSID is the name of your network which is case-sensitive and will be 15 characters or less.
- Note that it will be unique and may not include any special characters, spaces, or other non-alphanumeric characters.
Go to Orbi Login Portal
- Now, go to the Orbilogin portal, and enter these credentials.
- After you enter the correct credentials for connecting to the Orbi router, press the Connect button.
- Then, you will see a message saying “Connecting: Please wait”
- And then, another message that says “Connection Successful”.
- After this, you should be able to access the internet on your device.
- In case, you are not successful in establishing a connection, try again by repeating Steps 1 and 2 above.
Click on the Wireless Settings Option
- First, click on the Wireless Settings option.
- Then, you will see a list of available networks, select Orbi network, enter your password and click on Connect.
Change the SSID
To change the SSID for your Orbi WiFi Network, enter a new name in the SSID text field.
- Use a name that is easy to remember.
- Choose a name that is unique from other nearby networks.
- Additionally, use a name that is not too long and does not contain special characters (like ampersands).
Now, use this new wireless network SSID and password together with the default credentials for logging into your Orbi WiFi network.
Configure Your Orbi System
To configure your Orbi WiFi system, you will need the following:
- The SSID and password of your new wireless network
- The default credentials for logging into your Orbi WiFi network (username = admin, password = password)
You can change the SSID and password if you want. You can also use the same SSID and password as before. If these are not available, have a look at our article on how to reset Orbi. As an alternative, you may use a different SSID and password for your new network – this is up to you.
How can I perform Orbi App Setup?
If you are using the Orbi app to set up your system, follow the steps below.
- Initially, connect an Ethernet cable from the Ethernet port on your modem to an open LAN port on your Orbi router.
- Then, connect another Ethernet cable from one of its LAN ports to an open LAN port on your Orbi satellite.
- Now, use a USB cable and connect it between any available USB port on either device and a power outlet that is within reach.
- Open the Orbi app by tapping Apps > Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi & Networks > Home Networking.
- Then tap Turn On Wi-Fi Router Mode / Switch Allow Devices To Guest Mode or Set Up A New Network – depending upon which option you see.
What does the Orbi App do?
You can use the Orbi app setup to:
- Manage your Orbi system.
- View the status of your Orbi network, including the network map and speed test.
- View connected devices, password strength, and parental controls.
Orbi App Setup – How do I set up an Orbi Mesh Network?
The below steps will show you how to set up an Orbi network
Relocate Your Orbi Router.
- To begin, place your Orbi router in a central location and plug it into the modem.
- Now, plug an Ethernet cable into the WAN port on the back of your Orbi router.
- Next, plug another Ethernet cable into one of the four LAN ports on your Orbi router.
- Plug another Ethernet cable into one of the remaining three LAN ports on your other Orbi satellite (if you have more than one).
Power on Your Router.
- To set up Orbi, you’ll need to power on your router and satellite. </li
- The process is pretty simple: You just press the power button.
- Both the router and satellite will beep when they’re powered on.
- When they’re both ready to go, they’ll flash blue and white lights.
Sync Your Orbi Router to the Satellite.
To sync your Orbi router to the satellite, press and hold the Sync button on the back of your Orbi satellite. The sync button looks like a small circle with a line through it. You’ll find it near the power port.
Note: It is not a reset button; if you need to restart your device, use its power button instead.
Connect Your Computer to the Orbi Network
- To start with, plug the Orbi router into a power source.
- Next, connect your computer or laptop to the Orbi network called NETGEAR-ORBI using an Ethernet cable.
- Now, open a browser and go to www.orbilogin.com
- Enter the password that you found on the side of your device and click “Continue”.
Set up a Password For Your Orbi WiFi
- Initially, using a secure password for your Orbi WiFi network is essential.
- You should use a combination of letters and numbers, with no common words or phrases.
- Do not make it easy for others to guess your password by making it short or obvious.
- For example, don’t use the word “password” as your WiFi password; instead, try something like “p@$$w0rd12345” or “myfirstnameisJohn?#!$
To set up a new network, follow these steps:
- Find and connect devices to your new network.
- Your computer or laptop should automatically recognize the NETGEAR-ORBI WiFi signal from your Orbi router.
- If it doesn’t, you may need to manually connect with the following settings:
Network name (SSID) – NETGEAR-ORBI
Network type – Unsecure
- Set up a unique password for your Orbi WiFi network: If prompted by Windows or Mac OS X during setup, enter a username and password for the connection.
The Orbi app is a great way to set up your Orbi system. But it’s not the only way. You can also use the web interface or even just manually configure everything. If you face any issues with the above steps, feel free to comment your queries below.